Three failures of the adapter have occurred, all on GSOL reclaim 17 B helmets. The failures have occurred during servicing or inspection. There are at least three different adapters in the field, which are shown in the following sketches, but there may be other adapters of unknown origin. Two failures have occurred at the undercut (one has been identified as a GSOL adapter and the other of unidentifiable origin. The third failure occurred at the female thread of the non return valve (This one is unidentifiable origin).
IF A FAILURE HAD OCCURRED DURING A DIVE BOTH UMBILICAL SUPPLY GAS AND
ALSO BAIL-OUT SUPPLY GAS WOULD BE LOST!
From review of the undercut failures, it is believed that internal corrosion is occurring at the undercut. The origin of the adapters is not conclusively known, but all Gas Services' adapters are part numbered (D341 A, B, or C)
1. All Helmets, Band Masks and similar equipment, whether used for reclaim, open-circuit gas or air diving, must be inspected to establish the type and condition of the adapter.
2. All high flow adapters regardless of origin are to be REPLACED with the original DSI adapter, Part Number 555-118. Since there is no way to identify the origin of manufacture, GSOL & DSI will re- place, free of cost, all of the adapters that are removed and returned for replacement. The adapters do not need to be defective. All Diving Systems International dealers will have the replacement adapters on hand. Each part from GSOL/DSI will carry an identification of origin.
3. Where an unidentifiable high flow adapter is found it must be assumed to have a parallel thread form and in this case the non return valve should be replaced or retapped 1/4" NPT at the discretion of the technician. In any case, the thread in the non return valve must be inspected and the non return replaced if there is any doubt as to the integrity of the thread.
4. Until further notice, the replacement adapters should be inspected once each 30 dives or once each 30 days during use, whichever comes first. If any corrosion or damage is observed, the adapter must be replaced and returned to DSI.
5.IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NEVER TO USE A GSOL HIGH FLOW ADAPTER IN A NON RETURN VALVE THAT HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN USED WITH AN UNIDENTIFIABLE HIGH FLOW ADAPTER SUCH AS THE DSI PART NUMBER 555-119 AS THE THREADS ARE DIFFERENT.
6. DSI has designed a new non return valve that fits directly to the side block without any adapter. It has a higher flow capability than the current non return valve and adapter. These non returns will back fit all 17s and 18s. We highly recommend that any old style valves be re- placed.